Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Laws of Ma'at - 7

I live in truth

What is truth? Is truth the same for everyone? or different?

If you look at this issue through the lens of Lawrence Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Development, it seems that persons who have reached the post-conventional level (stages 5 and 6) of moral development would hold views similar to those of Moral Relativism, that justice is the measure by which all things must be viewed. Most people however, never move beyond the conventional level (stages 3 and 4), believing that rules and social conventions must be followed, that maintaining a functioning society is the basic measure. If people are at different levels in their understanding of morality, it stands to reason that the truth may be perceived differently as well.

So how can I live in truth?

When Ma'at judges my heart, She will weigh it against a feather. I will not be compared to any other person. That truth is perceived differently by others is not the issue. The only issue is "how have my actions and inactions weighed on my heart?"

I live in truth by being honest with myself about my abilities, limitations and motivations.
I live in truth by being honest in my relationships with others.
I live in truth by exposing and confronting untruths.
I determine what is truth for me, based on my interactions with the Divine, my understanding of how the world works, and my ongoing self-education.
I don't allow myself to be force-fed someone else's truth without question, regardless of how long they've had a tv or radio show, how many members are in their church, or how much money they have.

Sometimes living in truth can cause a dilemma. Sometimes we are faced with a situation where telling a lie might be the right thing to do. When faced with this dilemma, we must ask ourselves, "Whom does this lie benefit?" and "Whom does this lie harm?" We must make an honest evaluation of the situation, make a decision, and take responsibility for the outcome.

I choose to live in truth.

No comments: