Friday, February 22, 2008

Laws of Ma'at - 10

I consume only my fair share.

This is where we struggle between "need" and "want". How much do I truly need? and how much of it is want/desire? That doesn't mean that I have to deny my desires, but it does mean that I have to consider them, rather than sating them impulsively.

Our resources are stretched thin. People around the world die of starvation every day while others throw away perfectly good food by the pound. Things we purchase are overly-packaged in non-biodegradable styrofoam and plastic. In some countries, you have to purchase water from the river that runs through your village even though until 5 years ago it was held in common. In other countries, we buy bottled water by the gallon every day because tap water "doesn't taste right".

Our resources don't have to be stretched so thin. They just need to be shared more fairly.

I recycle everything I can: plastic, paper, cardboard, glass. I gratefully accept hand-me-downs that are in good condition, even though they may not be this year's - or even last year's - fashion. I try to eat my leftover food before it goes bad, so that I am not wasting the resources or the money to replace it. I have cut down significantly on gasoline usage by living closer to work, not driving through city traffic, and taking public transportation when I can. I do what I can to live more "green", with the goal of decreasing my carbon footprint. I do what I can to donate resources to those who are in need.

I ask myself, "what exactly is my share?" and try to live accordingly.

No comments: